The new Sylas changes are strange, sudden, and somewhat disappointing. While he plays the same, there are a lot of things that I find a bit off. Losing the shield on his E and giving it a 100% AP ratio just seems strange to me, since the majority of his damage currently comes from his Q and auto attacks.
The loss of the magic damage shield makes him a lot worse against mages, and he is not the only "anti-mage" that doesn't receive one.
His base stats being lowered early game for a GIGANTIC boost late game just feels strange as well, considering Sylas' late game was extremely good (as are the late games of 99% of mages).
I feel like we have to really push Sylas into the anti-mage role, and I believe the first step would be to give him Magic Damage Scaling like Galio.
The following is some additions i would like to see in the new Sylas. I think adding an MR scaling on any attack that uses his chains would be both fitting and beneficial for our shirtless anti-mage.
This ability is all over the place and is being constantly changed. This should, for the most part, be Sylas' main source of damage. Perhaps nerfing his ability ratios but increasing the passive ratio would be a good call, now forcing him to stay in melee.
* Petricite Bursts deals 110% AD (+ 20% AP) **(+ 20% bonus MR)** to the main target
* Deals 40% AD (+ 20% AP) **(+ 20% bonus MR)** to other targets.
* Revert the Range Nerf.
* If he is going to have multiple charges on his passive, at least give it a different animation each time.
The one change I do like. Putting more of the power into the burst rather than the chains themselves was a good call. I might add an MR ratio to the chain hit **only**, leaving the burst to be purely AP.
* Chain Deals 60/70/80/90/100 (+40% AP) **(+ 40% bonus MR)**
* Burst Deals to 40/85/130/175/220 (+60% AP)
Sylas' main sustain ability, I think it needs a little extra something to make it better against mages. Additionally, with the change to have the healing increase the lower his health is, I think it's about time we just give him healing based on his missing health. Additionally, i think Kingslayer should also silence for a very short amount of time to give Sylas an opening to hit a mage without getting burst down immediately.
* Heals for 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10% (+ 1% per 100 AP) of Sylas' missing health
* _Possibly_ Deals Damage equal to 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8% (+ 1% per 100 AP) of the Enemy's missing health.
* _Possibly_ Silenced for 0.5 seconds.
The change i like the least. Removing the Magic Shield makes him a lot more vulnerable to mages, considering he has to get into melee to deal most of his damage. I think giving him back his magic shield will help him get into range of mages.
* Magic Damage Shield 80 / 115 / 150 / 185 / 220 (+ 100 AP)
* _Alternatively_, make the shield scale with Health.
* Lower Abduct damage to 70 / 85 / 100 / 115 / 130 (+ 20% AP) (+20% bonus MR)
The main problem I've always seen with Sylas is how well he can use ults like Ashe's, which scales purely with AP. Ashe doesn't build AP, so it does little damage. However, Sylas' AP makes the ult extremely damaging. What needs to be balanced is not Sylas himself, but AP itemization.