[experimental] manamune and muramana changes (2014.07.02 - 2014.07.??)

hi friends~ tl;dr is that i've got some changes to muramana on the pbe and i'd love feedback for it! the most recent version of the changes should be in this post, along with a history of updates and a 'frequently asked questions' section. please leave any questions, comments, or concerns (on either the changes or this format for gathering feedback) in the comments section below! and maybe it goes without saying, but these are all experimental and therefore highly subject to change! things like tuning, damage type, costs, etc could all be completely different by the time this ships (**if any of it even ships at all**)! thanks in advance! {{item:3042}} **muramana** (last updated 2014.07.10 @ 03:06) ***this will temporarily be off of the pbe while we prepare the 4.12 patch*** [added] passive :: gains +10 bonus true damage (increased by 2% of maximum Mana if any number of azure stacks are active). also gain 1% attack speed for every stack of azure active. [remade] active :: spend 60 mana to gain 10 stacks of azure, then doubles the current mana cost and stack gain of this active. azure has a fixed duration of 9 seconds, and when it expires this active resets its mana cost and stack gain and then goes on cooldown (30 second cooldown). edit: to clarify, the passive mana-to-ad conversion from 'awe' is unchanged! >**update!** (2014.07.10 @ 03:06) okay, got some really helpful stuff from the first iteration! i'm going to go forward with the build path changes to manamune in the 4.12 patch, and continue explorations with various muramana actives. the next version should hit the pbe sometime after 4.12 goes live. until then, i've updated the item details above. >also, there were several bugs affecting tear, manamune, and muramana due to a one-time refactor we did that should all be worked out. just need to get the new tooltips in after 4.12 ships and then things should look much more normal! >oh! one last thing… i did want to mention that i've been reading every comment posted here as well as any tweets that mention me and a handful of forum/reddit threads. i haven't had time to directly respond to them unfortunately, but they're definitely read and count for something! . > **Frequently Asked Questions** (last updated 2014.07.03 @ 15:05) **Q) why?** **A)** this turns out to be a fairly large question as there are a lot of reasons—the goal set for the changes hit a lot of things we're hoping to explore/accomplish. to get the gist of it out up front, we want to create/improve the build foundations for mana-based champions. not just current kits that we 'gate' with mana, but also for a future in which we want to make mana more enjoyable/exciting (instead of it being like rationing out money to purchase food, imagine it being more like how to spend tokens at an arcade). some champions do this well on their own, but since a champion's mana paradigm isn't necessarily consistent across all kits there's value in exploring systemic solutions to making mana much more interesting and meaningful. >of course, the 'now' is super important, so we're doing this a piece at a time by exploring new ways to gain and spend mana in addition to your champion's kit (which should already have awesome things like jayce's shock blast through acceleration gate). the reason muramana is a candidate for this in addition to being a mana item is due to some issues with its current implementation (*e.g.*, the item is most powerful when you don't spend mana, but the reason a champion buys this is because they have really good ways to spend mana and they want to do that!) and because the item could stand to have more synergy/scaling with other items given its identity as a 'late game' item. >**Q) which champions are intended to benefit from a change like this?** **A)** champions that care about heavily scaling their basic attacks throughout the game, and can also do cool things with their own abilities when they get a lot of mana. more specifically, this would apply to ezreal, corki, sivir, irelia, jayce, kog'maw, *et al*. >**Q) what about current manamune/muramana users not in the above?** **A)** champions that tend to buy only one or two offensive items, and/or rely *very heavily* on spells (in relation to their reliance on basic attacks) likely won't appreciate the attack speed and are more guarded about their mana usage. that leaves champions like urgot and yorick feeling a little awkward about the changes as a whole. that said, the build path change, extra attack damage, and new on-hit damage should theoretically help them out more over the course of the game than the muramana on live. as an urgot player that works next to a yorick player, this is definitely something we're watching. >**Q) what can apply the true damage?** **A)** basic attacks, single-target spells that deal physical damage, and any other abilities that applies on-hit effects. this is more or less the same as live muramana, but notably excludes single-target spells that deal magic damage (*e.g.*, ryze's overload or syndra's unleashed power). this is primarily a preventative measure to keep abuse cases (like adding 420 true damage to syndra's ult) from restricting the other tuning levers we want to use to make sure the item feels good on champions that should like buying muramana for everything it does. we know there are collateral effects to this (such as jayce's thundering blow no longer triggering the effect) so we'll be watching for data related to those specific cases to make sure things are still just fine for those cases.
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel