Hi there! So I've played Kled a good amount and think hes extremely underwhelming. I'll get right into it -
• I've seen a lot of people talk about Pants are Dragon going full ad and it working out. How OP it is. Well Pants are Dragon is a top tier challenger. Making up 1% of the community, he could build Kled with AP and probably be ok with it.
• Your laning opponent has more windows of opportunities than you do. Simply because you Violent Tendencies is not activatable. As soon as W is used on a minion and finishes, your opponent is going to go in.
• During laning phase you are at a extreme disadvantage if you lose Skarl. And if you opponent is smart, they will punish you hard once de-mounted. The enemy jungle should always gank your lane, because relieving you of your mount is as good as a flash. You can try to go for cs to gain courage, but with only 1 usable ability with sub-par damage (deals only slightly more damage than his beartrap on hit which is already low) you are going to have a hard time cs'ing outside of your turret range. And you cant really out trade someone with 3 abilities when you have 1. Sure you have your auto attack passive (again which is useless if you already used it on a minion), but if your going to commit 4 auto attacks you better make sure that person is dead or your in for a rough time if your pistol doesn't allow you to escape.
• Initiating team fights with Charge is the best thing about this champion hands down. His ultimate is amazing, it gets his team from point A to B real quick.
• But when you get into the team fight, it becomes a little less fun because your job is always the same. Go after the enemy carry, and his kit is way to dependent on Beartrap not only landing but triggering. If that carry gets away from that, they are gone. Yes there are ways to stay on your target in the form of jousting, but one well timed flash or dash (or any form of peeling from his teammates) right when the beartrap reaches its smallest radius (why does it shrink in the first place?) could end your assault immediately. Your not the type of tank/bruiser who's a great peeler. Your only source of peeling is beartrap, and its ok at best. You can go after a tank if your ultimate hit them, but that's only if they were the target. Your only source of damage on a tank (again if your ultimate did not hit them) is your 4th hit on violent tendencies, but thats it. The AD scaling on E is pretty weak, and your not going to have much AD for your Q against tanks late game. Not going tanky for the late game would be suicidal. You want to stay on that mount at all costs, if you sacrifice tankiness for dps, you better hope you can kill something before you get dismounted because you're gonna be SUPER boned.
• There is nothing in his tooltip that says Skarl gets more HP from items. Just that you lose bonus health when Skarl abandons you.
• The death of a champion marked by your Joust should reset your Joust instead of the mark staying on the dead champion. The ability doesn't really do that much damage, and that would make Kled feel more fluid and come off more chaotic to the enemy during team fights. There are only a small amount of situations where dashing back to a dead marked body would benefit you, possibly juking a enemy. But the uselessness of it outweighs the practicalities. "It would be unfortunate if you E1 someone and your allies killed them." Of course your going to Joust after a high priority target, and your teammates will join you if they can. Assuming this wont happen often is a under sight.
• The fact that your first E(Jousting) doesn't go through walls/over cliffs but the 2nd activate doesn't make sense. Whats the difference?
• Without the ability to kill jungle monsters for courage, his ability to jungle is gone. Sure you can do it, and it could work out for you some games. But if your going against a smart jungler, they will invade you. Your clear speed is so slow, and you are always on the verge of dismounting during the early camps. They don't even have to kill you, just dismount you. Cause they know that you are screwed without your mount.
• Lastly I want to finish off on his dismounted form. Nothing about this form feels fun. You almost feel punished when you dis-mount. His Q is weak, and I get it. Its a form of escape, aoe damage, and has 2 charges. But a 20 second recharge at level 1 is abysmal. Chances are if your dismounted during laning phase, your going to use your pistol to last hit because you opponent is going to bully you out of lane, which means you are further weakened when it comes to trading. You feel absolutely useless in a team fight when your dismounted, you just pray to god you get assists to gain courage. I would rather always ride Skarl and die riding Skarl than be dismounted. It feels like I'm playing world of warcraft and I have to grind boars to get to the fun part. This is such a wasted opportunity to make dismounting kind of a cool secondary play style, if anything this could have been the opposite of Gnar. When you dismount you become ranged! Its a trade off for having low health. Your opponent should have to say "well I have to deal with this now" but instead your opponent is thinking, "Haha! This guy is #$@%ed."
This champion is cool as far as design goes, but theres no reason to pick him up over a lot of the bruisers/tanks that are currently out. His only saving grace is his ultimate, and his worse quality is his dismounted form. If you gave his dismounted form another spell (maybe on his e or possibly allow his ult to gain full courage and a slight buff but puts the ult on full cooldown) than this would help out a lot IMO.
I think I'm also being overly critical because its been almost 3 months since a new champion came out (Taliyah appeared on the PBE on May 3rd) and I was extremely disappointed with Taliyah when she first came out, she was extremely clunky and underpowered. In fact now that I think about it, all the champions this year got buffs after release. Aurelion sol is the 6th least played champion in all regions atm and Jhin has been on a rollercoaster of being playable and unplayable depending on the nerf/buff. Thanks for hearing me out.